Big Basin Vineyards
Platinum Rated VineyardOne or more blocks of this vineyard are Platinum RatedAbout Everyvine vineyard ratings
Big Basin Vineyards
- Planted Area
830 Memory LaneBoulder Creek, CA, 95006
Grape DetailsVarietals: Syrah, Roussanne, Pinot Noir, Viognier, GrenacheVine Age: 12.2 years (average)Wine Regions: Santa Cruz MountainsHillside Locations: Yes
Vineyard SizePlanted Area: 9.88 acres
Wine HistoryGrapes from these blocks have been used in the following wines:
|1.||Big Basin Vineyards Syrah Rattlesnake Rock (2007)||$54||94|
|2.||Rattlesnake Rock Syrah (2009)||$55||91|
|3.||Big Basin Vineyards Grizzly Grenache Syrah (2009)||$48||91|
|4.||Homestead Block Roussanne (2011)||$48|
|5.||Old Corral Syrah (2009)||$55||93|
|6.||Old Corral Syrah (2010)||$55||94|
|7.||Old Corral Syrah (2011)||$55||91|
|8.||Rattlesnake Rock Syrah (2010)||$55||93|
|9.||Rattlesnake Rock Syrah (2011)||$55||91|
|10.||Homestead Block Roussanne (2012)||$48||91|
Farm CertificationsCertified: California Certified Organic Farmers
|Average Radiation Total||WH/m2|
|Biologically Effective Degree-Days||1639.67|
Temperature & Rainfall
|Average||Hi °F||Low °F||Rain in.|
No winegrapes or bulk wine sourced from this vineyard are currently available...
Planted Areas of this Vineyard (14)
- Block: 1(2.5 acres)Grape: Syrah1340.73 ft. | Los Osos, SurView block details
- Block: 10 (0.93 acres)Grape: Roussanne1214.53 ft. | Los Osos, SurView block details
- Block: 11(0.85 acres)Grape: Syrah1249.82 ft. | Los Osos, SurView block details
- Block: 12(0.14 acres)Grape: Pinot Noir1244.41 ft. | Los Osos, SurView block details
- Block: 13(0.3 acres)Grape: Pinot Noir1260.27 ft. | Los Osos, SurView block details
- Block: 14(1.38 acres)Grape: Pinot Noir1347.78 ft. | SurView block details
- Block: 2 (0.22 acres)Grape: Viognier1341.62 ft. | Los Osos, SurView block details
- Block: 3(0.59 acres)Grape: Syrah1318.11 ft. | Los OsosView block details
- Block: 4(0.54 acres)Grape: Syrah1356.85 ft. | SurView block details
- Block: 5(0.59 acres)Grape: Syrah1298.74 ft. | Los OsosView block details
- Block: 6(0.47 acres)Grape: Grenache1279.52 ft. | Los Osos, SurView block details
- Block: 7(0.17 acres)Grape: Syrah1262.49 ft. | Los Osos, SurView block details
- Block: 8(0.34 acres)Grape: Grenache1221.24 ft. | Los OsosView block details
- Block: 9(0.86 acres)Grape: Grenache1211.86 ft. | Los OsosView block details
Our Santa Cruz Mountain Estate vineyard was planted in 2000 on a steep, windswept hillside where French immigrants first grew wine grapes a 100 years ago. We are passionately dedicated to our vineyards, farm organically and keep yields very low. Our mission is to create wines that reveal the complex nuances of the vineyards that inspire them - cool climate, ocean-influenced, mountain vineyards. We strive for a transparent expression of place with Pinot Noir, Syrah, Roussanne and Chardonnay wines that originate from single vineyard sources. Every wine we produce is hand crafted in small lots (less than 1.5 tons) with whole berry and whole cluster fermentations using only native yeast then barrel aged in the French oak barrels without racking before finally bottling without fining or filtration. Our goal is to produce wines that not only evoke a sense of place, but compel you to ponder their nuance and beauty. Our single vineyard wines and others we craft from blends of Syrah, Grenache, Mourvedre, Zinfandel, Carignan and Cabernet Sauvignon, have received critical acclaim in the international wine press including Robert Parker Jr.ís Wine Advocate, Stephen Tanzerís International Wine Cellar, Wine & Spirits Magazine, Wine Spectator Magazine and others. Antonio Galloni of The Wine Advocate recently had this to say, "I tasted a bevy of gorgeous wines with proprietor Bradley Brown this year. These new and upcoming releases are impeccable and strongly suggest Brown is one of the up and coming stars of the region. I can hardly wait to see how his wines develop in the future." Our wines are produced in limited quantities and many are available only in our tasting room and to our mailing list. Join us in our Tasting Room in the historic Saratoga Village, on our Facebook page and our mailing list.
AdministrationVineyard-ID: 2110Created Date: UnknownEdit History: View Edit History of this Vineyard
Edit PermissionLocked: Only the owner may edit this vineyard
Contact-Us if you would like to request the ability to edit this vineyard
Data Notes and References
NotesFarm Certifications: See the certifications page to learn more about the farm certifications Everyvine tracks. Soil Horizon: Bedrock value set to "-" is not available. Available water capacity units are cm/cm. Solar Radiation: Area Solar radiation has been calculated in watt hours per square meter (WH/m2) Topography: Topography values are averaged over the block area. Aspect is expressed in positive degrees from 0 to 359.9, measured clockwise from north. Growing Season: For use in various statistical averages, Everyvine defines the vineyard growing season as the period April 1st to October 31st.
The vineyard data presented here is most often sourced from the public data sources listed below. However, Everyvine also accepts data from vineyard owners who often have even better data they have collected themseleves.
If you have more accurate data on a vineyard go to: Data Submission page.Topography: Topographic and solor radiation calculations are based on 1/3 arc-second (approx. 10m) elevation models. Data provided by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), EROS Data Center, National Elevation Dataset, http://ned.usgs.gov/, 1999 Climate Indices: Calculations based on methodologies described by Gregory Jones and John Gladstones. See the following:
- Jones, G.V, Duff, A.A., Hall, A., and J. Myers (2009). Spatial analysis of climate in winegrape growing regions in the western United States.‚ÄĚ American Journal of Enology and Viticulture, in Press Spring 2010.
- Gladstones, J. (1992) Viticulture and environment (Winetitles: Adelaide).
- SSURGO: Soil Survey Staff, Natural Resources Conservation Service, United States Department of Agriculture. Soil Survey Geographic (SSURGO) Database. Available online at http://soildatamart.nrcs.usda.gov.
- STATSGO2: Soil Survey Staff, Natural Resources Conservation Service, United States Department of Agriculture. U.S. General Soil Map (STATSGO2). Available online at http://soildatamart.nrcs.usda.gov.
- Web Soil Survey: Soil Survey Staff, Natural Resources Conservation Service, United States Department of Agriculture. Web Soil Survey. Available online at http://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/.